History: On August 16, 1871, seventeen charter members organized a congregation of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Marshall. On October 12, 1873, the first building on the corner of Morgan and Salt Pond streets was dedicated.
As the town grew, so did the membership of the congregation. On December 7, 1890, a new, larger brick building at the corner of Morgan and Odell Streets was dedicated. This building served as the home of the congregation for almost 80 years.
Two national denominational mergers were brought about during these years. The first one was with the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) in 1906. The name of the congregation became the Odell Avenue Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). The second merger was with the United Presbyterian Church of North America in 1958. The name of the church became Odell Avenue United Presbyterian Church, (U.S.A.).
With a third relocation to the corner of Yerby and Lincoln streets, it was necessary to select a new name, and the name Covenant Presbyterian Church was chosen. The present building was dedicated April 12, 1970. Foundation stones from the two former buildings rest at the entryway of the church.
In 1983, another national merger took place, uniting the United Presbyterian Church in the (U.S.A.) and the Presbyterian Church in the United States. Covenant is now a congregation in the Presbyterian Church, (U.S.A.) and is within the Missouri Union Presbytery, Synod of Mid-America.